Frequently Asked Questions

Column Paragraph
Tab/Accordion Items

Call your local VSO or DMVA at (844) NC4-VETS and we will assist you in the development of your claim. Determining what benefits you may be eligible for is complex, as benefits are directly linked to how long a veteran served, when, and where so we are here to ensure that you are aware of and have access to the benefits that you have earned and help you cut through the red tape.

  • Service medical records, if you have them.
  • Private medical records OR Doctor’s name, address and phone number with dates of treatment.
  • Discharge Paperwork/DD214.
  • Buddy statements – written statements from those you knew in service who can provide verification of the illness, injury, event, etc.
  • Pictures, letters, envelopes.
  • Written statements from family, friends, employers, neighbors, co-workers, etc.
  • Proof of diagnosis of the illness/injury/condition.


Additional documents that may be beneficial:

  • Marriage certificates and divorce decrees (if applicable) for both spouses
  • Children’s birth certificates (if applicable)
  • Death certificate (if applicable)

In general, at a minimum:

  • Discharge/DD214
  • Marriage certificates and divorce decrees (if applicable) for both spouses
  • Children’s birth certificates (if applicable)
  • Death certificate (if applicable)

No. You will not receive a bill from DMVA for any of our services.

Veterans, Active Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members of the Armed Forces of the United States and their family members.

In general, Congress defines a veteran as someone who has served in one of America’s seven federal uniformed services or their reserve components. The seven federal uniformed services are:

  • United States Army – includes Guard and Reserve
  • United States Marine Corps – includes Reserve
  • United States Navy – includes Reserve
  • United States Air Force – includes Reserve
  • United States Coast Guard – includes Reserve
  • United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
  • National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps (formerly Survey Corps)

For VA purposes, if you served in the active military service and were separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. However, there are exceptions so a person who received an other than honorable conditions discharge should check with a Veterans Service Officer or call DMVA to see what, if any, benefits are available.  Current and former members of the Reserves or National Guard who were called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which they were called or ordered to active duty may be eligible for VA health benefits as well. 

There are many possible benefits available to you and possibly your immediate family members including, but not limited to:

  • Military service compensation for injuries and illnesses caused, incurred or aggravated while serving in the Armed Forces. These conditions must be chronic.
  • Pension
  • Aid and attendance
  • Education
  • Life insurance
  • Home loans
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Special license plates
  • Hunting and fishing licenses
  • Dependent Indemnity Compensation (DIC)
  • VA medical enrollment
  • Counseling
  • Burial benefits
  • Tax exemption

  • The retirement of the U.S or State of NC Flag

    For citizens in possession of a weather-worn, tattered, or otherwise damaged flag, should decide on arrangements for its proper disposal. All United State or State of North Carolina flags may be delivered to the North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs headquarters office at 413 N. Salisbury St. Raleigh NC 27699.  The Department will then make arrangements for its respectful disposal.

    Flags that are no longer fitting for display can also be dropped off at local American Legion Post for proper retirement.